Go ahead, press play again. I'll be waiting right here.
The Wildlife Rehab and Education Center was packed with animals since I was there last. I've had to take a week off and boy, do things change fast. Many of the patients I was caring for have grown and are gone or have been given to local rehabbers to care for and release. Baby ducks and birds, once in tanks, have gotten big enough to move to the fabulous wooden pens outside in the fresh air.
The baby opossums have multiplied (you'd think they were bunnies) and grown to be happy and mischevious. And we're fully into bird season. There are incubators with several small kleenex boxes (to mimic nests) filled with eggs and rows and rows of tanks with of sparrows, robins, rock doves, etc... We have a baby heron (all legs), and terns of all sizes. I saw a new screech owl and the baby great horns continue to grow straight and strong.
But everyone is wild for the two newest additions: 2 baby beavers. The one in the movie above is getting fed on his back wrapped in a towel, by bottle just like our own kids. Below is the sibling of the one getting fed, hanging out in a tank with a stuffed Beaver Mommy. See his little flat tail?
I spent all yesterday at the Center getting basic training in cleaning oil spilled birds and animals (so I can be ready to volunteer when the need arises). I'm itching to get back in there, maybe tomorrow, to learn more about how birds hatch and develop-- and what they need to eat. I saw people in there with everything from raw eggs for some, to little dishes with crickets, meal worms, cat food pellets soaked in something to be soft and berries, feeding all those open mouths with the appropriate tidbit, delivered by an official looking tweezer/scissor like device. Hopefully I can get a few pictures, because as you can see from the nursing Beaver, they are worth a thousand words.



7 comments:
awwwwhhhh melts my little heart!
So dog darn sweet!!!!
omgosh! Just like a kitten, sort of :-) and it's cute flat tail!! Thanks for sharing!
Hey chickie, You would be in the position to know more than most at the moment about whether we need to be careful about contact with wild ducks during this pandemic? (Or is that just me being tOO overly cautious?) x
Well that was an "awe" moment ... or several moments as I kept replaying. Pictures like that really make us see how similar we all are. Love the little fingers and the soft sounds. So sweet. Thank you!
You could tell it was trying to "knead" its mommie for that milk. So sweet.
Love this blog Sydney.
Well…that little beaver kit just made my day. That's just plain cute. Adorable!
Post a Comment