We've all heard stories of great feats of love, some extending to the physical, like a mother lifting a car just enough to free her child caught beneath. That must be how, at this great distance, I made out Mrs. Goose in the scene below. Double click on any picture to enlarge
Even on this little screen I know you can see a white dot in the water. But that's Mister Goose, heading toward me. Mrs. Goose is that barely visible tan spot back on the grass behind him (She looks like a tree trunk for that tall center pine). I knew if I called to him, he'd started swimming my way and she'd be sure to follow.
My heart grew ten times ten as she came into focus, gliding daintily behind her man.

Like I said, they're a pair, and never far apart. That's why it's been so alarming to see him without her for the last 6 weeks (not counting the two+ weeks that neither were around).
They arrived and had just begun to eat when our bliss was cut short by several rounds of children who, as children (especially boys) do, wanted to grab them or screech with glee. To gain the trust of these birds you have to be a whisperer of sorts and I knew this wouldn't do. Then a pesky Nutria kept invading their space, hoping for some bread (normally reed eaters, park visitors have them carb addicted... but that's for a future post). It was all too much for the Lady G. and she chose to cut short our reunion. Though busy with another bite, once Mr. Goose realized she was paddling toward the center island, it was he who followed her.
My heart grew ten times ten as she came into focus, gliding daintily behind her man.
Like I said, they're a pair, and never far apart. That's why it's been so alarming to see him without her for the last 6 weeks (not counting the two+ weeks that neither were around).
They climbed ashore and waddled into the trees, stopping now and again to nibble greens. I strained to see as she headed deeper in and he dutifully complied. Guess my stint with SuperVision was short lived, as it was no longer necessary... With this one, blessed turn of events, all was set right in my world.

5 comments:
Isn't funny how we can just get attached to those beautiful creatures?!
I took your advice and read from the bottom up, but my heart was heavy until this post. They are just gorgeous animals and you are capturing them so well.
You are so busy sydney, where do you find the time to go, take pictures and then write it up. You are so talented. I want to be just like you when I grow up!
Seriously, this was great. Keep it going!
Wonder why the time does that... It's actually 1:34am on Sunday. Can't sleep so... My computer at work changes the time of when I post something to???? Strange.
There ain't nothin like a bEaUtIfUL love story... sighhhh X;-)Thankyou
Sydney thank you so much for sharing your site!
As I read your posts I was transported to a different place for a few wonderful minutes. (My nature forays consist of a pigeon or two on my downtown terrace LOL)
You're bookmarked now & I'll be checking in often.
{{{hugs}}}
Post a Comment