Thursday, September 4, 2008

Bambi

Last week we had the enchanting experience of driving past a large family of deer close to the road while driving in Larimer County, Colorado.

While seeing deer is nothing new to many, I still find happening upon them to be much like seeing fairies dancing on the lawn. These darling beings usually leap out of sight before the cortex can send the image to the brain. I often have to ask myself, did I really see them or did I imagine it?

To get them to stay, you have to be terribly still, which I didn't quite achieve as evidenced by my camerawork. I was just so nervous to record something before they darted off and I only had a little digital pix camera, zoomed in as far as it would go. But it brings the moment back, and that is what matters.

My father was a great white hunter. I tried to respect that he came from a different place with all this stuff, but after he'd shot his share of EVERYTHING, I asked him once, and only once, if he could just say he had enough of deer. In his sensitive manner, he looked at his little girl and replied, without missing a beat, "Don't give me that Bambi shit".

S'wonderful, in't?

Enjoy this snippet of these sweet creatures with their soft, floppy ears. In the first shot you can see a buck with his horns in the upper right walking across the screen, and later there are two babies, which you can tell by the while spots on their back. Just like Bambi...

(Forgive my horrid editing. It's my first try using imovie editing without instructions and it's so OBVIOUS. Just wanted to get the post up. Hey, nowhere to go but up with these skills!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't help but think it must hurt to scratch an itch with a hoof. Lovely. Thanks.

Zom said...

awww, look at their big ears. I like the music too.

ArtPropelled said...

LOL....I received a similar remark when telling a group of hunters that I wasn't completely comfortable with what they were doing.They would come to the farm for an organised hunt every year and I never could get used to it.