Saturday, October 18, 2008

Black Squirrel Update

If you were to click here and here you will see how this frisky little girl looked just four weeks ago...   Of the nearly 1200 orphaned squirrels that got turned into the Wildlife Rehab after hurricane Ike, only two were black -- a boy and a girl - though we don't think they were siblings. Though there were several I fell in love with, you really couldn't tell who was who in the end. Besides the few whose problems set them apart -- one had no tail, another a slack jaw, still another had totally overgrown teeth and one poor male had an ouch on a very sensitive part of his anatomy --with all the rotating due to feedings and cage cleanings, the only ones you could know for sure past a few days were the two gorgeous blackies. 


There is only this one now -- the girl.  The boy has been gone for over a week, and my guess is that he went home with one of the people who have land near plenty of trees who are trained and licensed to ease them into the wild over a period of many weeks. He was always bigger, looked older -- another reason we figured they weren't sibs.  

After giving her 6 cc's of Esbilac for breakfast today (in addition to nuts and fruits and water in the cage), I decided to take a quick movie. I'm about to go out of town for 9 days and figure when I get back in there she too may be gone.  What cracks me up is that at the end, she's checking out the camera then clearly sees a squirrel in the lens and gives a start (or is poised in attack mode!) If you missed that, hit play again. 

And just so you can see how big the little Fox/Red that's in the tank with her is going to get around this time next year, check out this squirrel I gave a pecan to tonight in the park.  

I understand that squirrels get a winter coat and eat as much as they can to survive an anticipated food shortage.  But what's with these Texan squirrels? It's not 95 degrees with 100% humidity anymore, but it's still fairly warm here. It can get down to 35 for a few nights ... but not until January.  But suddenly all the wild squirrels look like mini Michelin Men. 

Seen through my adoring eyes there's only more to love.


7 comments:

bindu said...

Thanks for posting the video. The black squirrel is gorgeous! Sounds like you're going on vacation - have a nice time!

meb said...

I picked up on his stance Sydney... and thought it was cute. She really is beautiful.

OK.. I'm jealous... if it's a vacation, I want to go! If it's work, I'll pass.

Sydney said...

We are going to the Shennandoah Valley -- we continue to take any free time we have to explore parts of the country we may want to live when my husband "retires".

I don't know that you all check my other two blogs but I did a few posts last week on the search for where to live on the blog called A New Yorker In Houston.

I'm inviting everyone to pop over to that one and leave me any advice or info if you have lived at where we're looking or want to recommend where you live! Sure would appreciate it!

It's attached to my profile but here's the link:
http://newyorkerinhouston.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

These babies have gotten so big. I would be having some separation anxiety when they are set free. It's a wonderful thing you have participated in! YOU made a difference.

PDX Granny said...

Thanks so much for posting your videos! They're so much fun to share with my grandson. He made me play them over and over and over again!

Have a great time on your vacation! I'll be taking this week off, but alas, I'm using that time to stay home and take care of things around the house. Your vacation sounds like so much more fun!!

Sydney said...

Hi PDX -- I tickles me to no end tha tso many people are showing this blog to the kids in their lives!

I didn't know if you had seen the post entitled Forest Yoga back on July 22nd. It's cute!

Sandy- Well, they have told me that there will be more baby squirrels come spring, when they breed again (though never so many) and baby birds too, so I think I'm just looking forward to that to blot out an y separation woes.

I am never good at goodbyes... instead I prefer to say "See you soon"

Tressa bailey said...

OMG...Black squirrels. A town just a scant 20 miles away is infested with them. I know. They are a lot of fun to watch, but watching them while I lived there (Edwardsburg aka Stepford, Michigan) I also learned they are smarter and friskier than our common pine and red squirrels.

One day as I waited for the bus with my youngest (then 10 years old) near one of our walnut trees, several black squirrels began throwing nuts at us! I've seen them chase small dogs right back too!

Never heard of them harming any living beast though. I'd be careful just in case.