Sunday, October 12, 2008

Cat Nap

Before being able to work with animals was ever a possibility in my consciousness, let alone getting close to the big cats, I went to New Zealand on my honeymoon and saw a billboard in the middle of nowhere that read: PET A LION CUB. There was a picture of it's irresistable, furry face and a big arrow pointing down the deserted highway. I had to restrain myself from bouncing up and down in my seat and pointing as if I were two years old again. Instead I managed to say "Let's go" in my adult voice to my husband. And we did.

We found a small private zoo of sorts, very green and tropical, with short paths to a few exhibits. We made a beeline to the cat cages and there we found not one but a pair of sleepy kitties. Lots of folks came up being loud and taking pictures, who had no more interest than to see them and leave. We hung around so long, chatting with the keeper about their care and purring to the babies, that she let us touch them on their faces instead of just on their paws. Guess she knew true animal lovers when she saw them.




I just loved the way these big kitty feet were pushing against the fence while he snoozed.



As usual, you can click on any photo and it will enlarge. The first one is worth seeing the cat's face better!

8 comments:

Laurie said...

Wow, what a fabulous opportunity! I love big cats and little cats. Their toes are fun to play with, too!

carlikup said...

Lucky You!

That must have been awesome Sidney!

bindu said...

How awesome! I'm totally envious. :)

bindu said...

Sydney - I just got back from the wildlife rescue. I asked about the Houston squirrels, and apparently they are still in Austin - with various volunteers who took them home. The girl there said they will round them all up when they are ready, drive them to Houston and directly release them, because by then they will be ready to survive on their own. I have some super-cute pictures from today - will post soon. I know you will love them!

Anonymous said...

how awesome- next you're going to tell me you swam w/ dolphins? I am so jealous...... xoxoxo

Sydney said...

Lol Sandy-- Actually, my husband tried to (while I stayed on the boat with the movie camera, thanks to that little water phobia we share), but it was so cold he ended up within an inch of hypothermia... and I got a better look at the dolphins than he. But it made for a good story....

meb said...

Look at the size of those feet! These animals are phenomenal.

As for the water... are you telling me you don't like the water? How can that be? The closer I can get to it (including totally emersed in it) the more I like it!!! My favorite passtime, which is why I don't like NC as much as I did FL. Miss my pool!

Now look what you've done... got me thinking about a hot tub again! Tsk, Tsk!

Sydney said...

Meb, I LOVE the water, love to be near it, look at it, or be on it. I call myself a water baby. I even love to be in it, but have an inexplicable fear of it. So I can't go very deep and even have trouble in a pool with the fear. It's completely crazy, but is the one thing that truly makes me wonder if there are past lives, as that might be the only way to explain it.