Saturday, November 8, 2008

MUCH Better Than TV!

These are two otters -- brother and sister -- that I had the pleasure of spending some time observing for the zoo. You can tell them apart because one has a cute little black "beauty mark" on her furry nose.

They share their habitat with a deep pond of catfish, a special kind of squirrel and a colorful bird -- recreating the combination of animals that would be commonly found together in the wild. Now this mischievous pair had been crawling over separating rocks to the to the edge of catfish pond, having fun watching and even swatting them. This was proving to be distressing to the fish, even though they are as big as the otters, or even bigger. The study was to gather information to assist the keepers in stopping this behavior and apparently they succeeded.

These naughty otters now stay in their own little pond and the catfish are at peace. Mostly these two sleep curled up with each other in a nice, cozy log. But when they swim, they're an endless source of amusement. Can you imagine just how horrible a job it was (NOT!) to sit and watch these antics for hours at a time? Enjoy!

PS: Best to watch with your volume OFF! When you try to get footage in a zoo the kids and crowds aren't the best accompaniment to the pictures.


6 comments:

Laurie said...

How special is this? I love otters and today is my birthday. It's like a little gift just for me!

When my daughters were young children we would watch the otters at Sea World and just enjoy their funny antics. Then a few years ago those same daughers, now adults, taught me how to snorkle. They decided I looked like an otter because everytime I surface I rolled over on my back.

Thanks again for sharing your Adventures in Nature with us. Your words and pictures are like a little vacation for us!

bindu said...

What fun. I'm envious! This is exactly the kind of "work" I would love to do all day ...

PDX Granny said...

How great it is that you can spend so much time at the zoo. You have such great stories to share with us all!

Thanks!!

carlikup said...

Oooooooooooh Sidney ... I love your stories and your writting. I hope you don't get tired of me telling you!

Zom said...

Thank you Sydney. I wish I was nearer to a zoo, I would just hang out all day and draw.

meb said...

Awwww Sydney... they are so cute. I love that you're doing this for all of us who don't have the opportunity to even get to a zoo. Thanks for sharing your experiences.