Sunday, November 2, 2008

Gobble Gobble?


We saw a rather odd sight as we were leaving our Bed and Breakfast in the tiny, historic town of New Market -- best known for an important Civil War battle that took place on their fields using young cadets (age 15-17) who marched 70 miles to get there from the VA Military Institute in Lexington.

With our minds on such events, we were completely jolted out of it to see the above in front of us in traffic. It took a second, and before I could snap another shot the truck had turned out of sight. We realized that this is how chickens are transported.... and now that I blow it up as I did below, I think from the shape of their heads and necks that they might actually be turkeys?


What do you think? You can click on tha tpic to enlarge it and see what I mean. Are there white-feathered turkeys? And where is there throat waddle? Are these females? Or are they a kind of common chicken who never develops the neck and head plumage? Must do some research.

8 comments:

Laurie said...

Good morning! I am now searching for what kind of birds those may be. They seem a bit small for turkeys but I'm no poultry expert. Great shot!

Laurie said...

Check this out:

http://www.bergshatchery.com/turkey.htm

Could be!

Robbie said...

Those are definitely not chickens. My guess is they are young turkeys.

Sydney said...

OMG Laurie - I looked on the link you offered here and sure enough, those poor birds will be gracing the tables of many families in just a few weeks! May we all be grateful for the lives and spirit that go into the meals we have -- especially Thanksgiving which we over eat at!

I love that the native Indians took to thanking the spirit of the animal they may have just killed, honoring the life that was just sacrificed so that they may live.

Laurie said...

I like that too, Sydney. We need to be thankful for that circle of life.

bindu said...

Looking at animals heading to slaughter makes me sad. I'm a vegetarian, so can't see these as food ... but I do agree with you that it would be great if people gave thanks every time they ate meat rather than just at thanksgiving! I give thanks when I take medicines now - and think of the animals who have been experimented on so I can feel better.

nollyposh said...

My hubby says chickens (Pullets)
He says that the battery hens peck each others feathers out (Where they can reach each other) X:-(

Delee said...

Positively TURKEYS