Monday, November 10, 2008

Hijinks




Boy I want this guy looking out in my neighborhood. He certainly is alert (cracks me up when he looks up and back). Perhaps there is a Starbucks in Meerkat world and he's had a grande.

Predators are not much of a threat to these guys at the zoo but even so, these Meerkats don't get lazy. It's in the genes. What does freak them out is when they see a rogue balloon floating by. I wonder if that's their version of a UFO. Anyway, while the sentry is on the lookout, the others in the family are busy doing industrious Meerkat things.




But they've been known to conk out right in the midst of their work, as if they were narcoleptic! And anyone who's watched Meerkat Manor on Animal Planet probably knows they sleep in the funniest positions...

3 comments:

meb said...

Now these Meerkats I can look at enjoy. I truly couldn't watch Meerkat Manor on TV. Too much heartbreak for me. Love the videos Sydney... you may have another calling here, with your pictures and your writing. I've suggested before you should sumbit them somewhere. Try to get a gig on the local paper... they'd probably jump on these. Hey, why not turn your project into being paid for it.

nollyposh said...

oh they are adorable and i ~love~ the way you weave these little animal stories, it's such a ~beautiful~ gift that you have...
i agree with meb (up there)...
i can so see why they used this little guy in the kids movie "The Lion King"
Hilarius!!! xox

Delee said...

Wish Meerkats would come back. The balloon probably seems like a bird of prey to them.