Monday, November 10, 2008

Speckled Bears

Have you ever heard of a speckled bear? I hadn't before I started to work with the carnivore keepers at the zoo. I just thought there were bear bears. Big and scary, grizzly, black or brown perhaps, but speckled? You can see from the pictures below why they are called this.



...well, that's a guess on my part. We have a pair of speck bears and while I was taking some VIP zoo members on a morning tour that included the bears, they seemed quite in the mood for posing. I was amazed at how these pics I snapped turned out. Don't professional photogs wait all day to capture poses like these?


Maybe they're hoping I'll send them on to Tyra Banks or some other model mogul. I think they'd readily take their pay in fresh salmon!

8 comments:

bindu said...

I love the second picture!

meb said...

How did I miss this. It was posted on 11/10??? Anyway, I love these pictures. I've never seen a bear with color before...they're either brown or black.

And yes Syd, the pictures are great shots. Now you need to take up photography (in your spare time, of course HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH)!

When are you back home? I miss your comments!

Sydney said...

hi MEB-- you didn't miss it, before I go away on trips I pre-load several posts worth of pix so I can write and post entries while I'm gone... But they all end up having the same date. Kudos to you for even noticing :-)

Chris Daly said...

Those are great shots!

Anonymous said...

he's a sweet fella... he certainly gave you his full attention now, didnt he?

PDX Granny said...

Sydney, great shots, as usual!! I'm so envious that you get to do what you do. What a great life you lead. :)

Thanks for explaining the date! I caught that too and couldn't figure out how I had missed it.

I'm looking forward to you getting home and sharing your latest experiences with us.

Delee said...

Colorado Springs Zoo had 2 bears like this...they are different. They inhabit some of South America. There is also a sun bear from Asia, small and has black fur with a golden mark near their neck.

Love love love you zoo blogs and anticipate the next.

nollyposh said...

They just see your beautiful ~spirit~ that's all X:-)

(Hey maybe you could do a "coffee table book" ???)