If you're not staying there, then you can always eat at it's restaurants, browse it's shops and have a drink in it's famous lobby.
Over the many years I was involved with St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, I had the pleasure of staying there. Twice a day there's an amazing crowd, pressing forward, camera's poised, that gathers to see a one-of-a-kind sight: The March of the Peabody Ducks.
Over the many years I was involved with St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, I had the pleasure of staying there. Twice a day there's an amazing crowd, pressing forward, camera's poised, that gathers to see a one-of-a-kind sight: The March of the Peabody Ducks.
In the lobby there is a small but beautiful stone fountain in the center of the room. At 11:00 AM people enmass line a carpet rolled out from the elevator to the fountain and marching music begins to play (loudly!). The elevator opens up and a man -- The Duckmaster -- steps out, dressed in a red uniform jacket with pressed black pants and shiny black shoes. Everyone's eyes have to drop to see who he is escorting... a group of ducks! Calm and confident, they waddle out one by one and follow each other to the fountain. They hop up a little step or two and jump into the water. There they stay all day, enjoying cracked corn, naps and play until 5:00 PM when the whole shebang is done in reverse.

Their website tells the story behind this best:
"Back in 1933 Frank Schutt, General Manager of The Peabody, and a friend, Chip Barwick, returned from a weekend hunting trip to Arkansas. The men had a little too much Jack Daniel's Tennessee sippin' whiskey, and thought it would be funny to place some of their live duck decoys (it was legal then for hunters to use live decoys) in the beautiful Peabody fountain.
Three small English call ducks were selected as "guinea pigs," and the reaction was nothing short of enthusiastic. Soon, five North American Mallard ducks would replace the original ducks.
In 1940, Bellman Edward Pembroke, a former circus animal trainer, offered to help with delivering the ducks to the fountain each day and taught them the now-famous Peabody Duck March. Mr. Pembroke became the Peabody Duckmaster, serving in that capacity for 50 years until his retirement in 1991. Today, The Peabody Ducks are led by Duckmaster Jason Sensat.
The original ducks have long since gone, but after 75 years, the marble fountain in the hotel lobby is still graced with ducks. "

Their website tells the story behind this best:
"Back in 1933 Frank Schutt, General Manager of The Peabody, and a friend, Chip Barwick, returned from a weekend hunting trip to Arkansas. The men had a little too much Jack Daniel's Tennessee sippin' whiskey, and thought it would be funny to place some of their live duck decoys (it was legal then for hunters to use live decoys) in the beautiful Peabody fountain.
Three small English call ducks were selected as "guinea pigs," and the reaction was nothing short of enthusiastic. Soon, five North American Mallard ducks would replace the original ducks.
In 1940, Bellman Edward Pembroke, a former circus animal trainer, offered to help with delivering the ducks to the fountain each day and taught them the now-famous Peabody Duck March. Mr. Pembroke became the Peabody Duckmaster, serving in that capacity for 50 years until his retirement in 1991. Today, The Peabody Ducks are led by Duckmaster Jason Sensat.
The original ducks have long since gone, but after 75 years, the marble fountain in the hotel lobby is still graced with ducks. "
There are even a few delightful books written on the subject. So the next time you're in the mood to visit Graceland, Beale Street, the home of the old Sun Records, BB King and some damn good Barbecue, stop by the Peabody and see for yourself. Or maybe you already have. Please tell us if you did!
Would YOU like to be a Duckmaster? I know I would.

6 comments:
I wish I had known of this when I visited Graceland (1st time) in 2007. It is only a 4 hour drive to Memphis and 2007 was the only time I have been there. Since it could be a weekend trip, I need to check out more than Elvis!
What a wonderful story Sydney. I'm thrilled that the hotel would continue such a tradition and would love to go, just to see this.
I've come to realize that I've not seen very much of our own United States, and should contemplate visiting some of these unique places first before going out of the country again.
Thanks for posting this and getting my thought processes greased up and ready to venture out.
I've seen the ducks. My sisters and I went on a pilgrimage to Graceland for the 20th anniversary of Elvis' death. We did not stay at the Peabody, but we did the tourist thing and went to see them walk out of the elevator. Very unique experience.
Sydney you are the duck master and the squirrel master and any other animal that is lucky enough to meet you!
I guess not only in Memphis Sydney. I was telling my daughter about this and she says the Peabody Hotel in Orlando mimics this same tradition. Who knew. I lived 3 hours from Orlando for 20 years and never saw this. See what I mean that I didn't get around much.
HI Meb -- I had no idea there even was another Peabody hotel. It's such a one of a kind institution. But since there is one and this is their trademark thing, I can totally understand why they'd do the duck march there!
I only learned of this through my father's involvement with St. Jude Hospital, otherwise I'd probably never have found my way to Memphis or that grand hotel, so don't feel too out of it. You've been busy having quite a life, that took you to do quite exciting things.. and there's always time to do more! VEGAS!
Post a Comment