Thursday, February 12, 2009

I WANT ONE!!!!

Thursday at the Wildlife Center, a woman in a business suit and heels brought in a baby goat, who we figure was no more than 2 days old. She told of how it sat on her lap as she drove all the way in, snoozing peacefully.

She cooed as she handed him over to the two women who run the Center. The goat had lipstick on his nose, and everyone laughed, not sure if it was from the lady who brought him to us or those who had received him. I figured it was a normal drop off, as we get them all through the day from folks who find hurt or abandoned wildlife. But I heard that she had already adopted the little guy and we were to care for him during the day. Clearly not the norm, I couldn't quite figure that part out.

She'd also brought him in an animal crate, like someone might use to carry their small dog on a plane, and had a bottle and formula all ready for us to feed him. I later learned that she is the head of the SPCA and had found the baby goat in the middle of the road when she was driving home the night before! The guess is that he was being transported with other livestock (including his mother) and had somehow fallen off the truck or through the slats (apparently such transportation has wooden slats -- oh this city girl has much to learn about country life).

She named him Teddy. Forget the term lucky duck... What a LUCKY GOAT to be found by her of all people! So, we will babysit until he's big enough to live at her farm. He needs lots of love, attention, room to play and multiple feedings -- and he's gotten it.

I took four little movies of this darling boy, and could barely decide which to show. This first one is of him playing as I kneeled to take a video. You can hear the tiniest little bleat at one point in the middle.



What surprised me was how acclimated to people Teddy is. In the movie below you might be able to make out that his umbilical cord is attached. He prances around and follows you like a puppy. This was also true of a baby goat born at the zoo who was rejected by the mother, that 2 young caregivers were raising. From day one, baby goats come when you call, scurry after you when you walk to another room, love to sit in your arms or in your lap and let you pet them. They even wag their tail in response when you talk to them. And they seem very happy indoors as if it were totally natural. WHO KNEW???


(WARNING: Goat leaps WILL cause your vocal chords squeeze out impossibly high notes)
I KNOW you want one too!


CLICK HERE and HERE for Teddy updates

17 comments:

Connie said...

Oh that jump!! That jump is way too cute! Way too cute!! I love him!

We live totally in the city/suburbs here in Phoenix where it is all strip malls and fast food restaurants...but then, you walk literally five minutes behind where we live and there are all these farms nestled away too. The one place has nothing but goats!! When I walk there with my dog Nyla, all the goats will line up in one straight line blocking other goats...I"m assuming it's the males protecting the females and babies...it is the coolest thing to see..and, my dog Nyla, is completely oblivious to their line of defense--she doesn't even pay attention to them!!

That goat is too cute!

(PS thanks for your wonderful comment this morning on my blog---I am so envious about the movie you saw--to be honest--I love that period of art in america-love it!!! When I worked at the Cleveland Museum of Art I used to take adults on tour and explain to them why those paintings were there hanging..it was such a fun class..then we would go down to the studios in the basement and I would have them try to make those paintings--especially the Pollacks--and you would be surprised, how people actually trying to make them..and make them look "good" like the ones hanging in the museum actually put things in more perspective for them. And, I always loved to say when someone in the museum would say "oh I could do that" "too bad you didn't have the courage to do it first! you'd be famous by now!".

You have the world's greatest job sister!!! Thanks for sharing it with the rest of us!

Peace & Love.

carlikup said...

Sarah and I are guuuuuushing right now!! Isn't that the cutest little thing ever??!!!
And we both agree with Connie about that little "jump" of his!

RBennie said...

Hi Sydney,

That baby goat is just adorable! It's amazing how puppylike he is. I need to make time to check your blogs more often, I'm really behind.

Anonymous said...

SO CUTE!

Thanks for giving me the link to this blog...didn't know you had it.

Funny thing, my daughter found a goat running in the road outside our house last winter. We caught it and it stayed in our backyard for the better part of a day while the police and animal control decided what to do with him. Pretty unusual find for area of NY.

They wouldn't let us keep him. :( Apparently it's against our zoning laws. My daughter made the papers and radio. A reporter left a homicide to come cover the goat story!

This baby is MUCH cuter though.
-FringeGirl

Zom said...

I knew! I knew!
When my DH and I first got together we had goats. 2 we raised from babies. If you bring them up, they are so friendly and sweet. And like you said, follow you anywhere. They are intelligent and loving animals.

They would love to live inside a house with you, but they do eat everything! We had ours in a paddock and would go hang with them. They chew on your clothing and cuddle up against you.

Donna in Alabama said...

Okay, you know I am a country girl for sure now...when I was a teenager, I found a baby goat. He still had his unbiblical cord. My grandmother said he was prolly a twin and the mother wouldn't feed him and he got separated from the herd. I bought a baby bottle and fed him milk. He was great and I would not mind having another one. He would follow me everywhere. He got run over once but he was fine. He had something wrong with his throat once and I sat for hours in the yard massaging his neck and giving him water. When he was grown, he would try to "hump" my mom and little brother!! It was hilarious.
Thanks Sydney, for reminding me of him. I have thought about him in some time!

Donna in Alabama said...

oops, that should be "I have not thought about him"...

Anonymous said...

I love goats too! They really are just beautiful I am so glad you get to play with one :)

bindu said...

WOW! What a doll! It *is* extremely fortunate that this little guy was found by this lady. I shudder to think how else it could have played out. I will be back to this video again - to show my husband. I know it will make his day, just like it did mine!! LOVE it!

nollyposh said...

They are friendly little souls aren't they X:-) One of Lara's little friends has a gorgeous goat tOO... TOO adorable!

Laurie said...

Well, yes we all do want one. I've always said we needed a goat to take care of the lawn. My husband reminds me that it would also take care of the flowers and the things on the clothesline!

That little goat was in the right place and the right time, wasn't he? I have to go look at the videos again. Once was not enough. Thanks so much for sharing your adventures with us!

Anonymous said...

Syd... I have had a goat while the children were young, up until the divorce. The goat is w/ the ex. They are the SWEETEST animals ever. We had 1 cashmere, and the rest Saanens. We bred Abby, who has 3 babies. What a beautiful experience, not only for the children but ME!

meb said...

Another great post Sydney... he is so CUTE, you just want to go out and get one... Glad that feeling will pass before I actually do it. I really could not take care of a goat at this time in my life. I have enough on my plate with my best friend Buddy... he's also CUTE and he can come in the house, although he eats some of my "things" too. You know, shoes, anything plastic, etc.

Again, love the post. thanks.

~ maggie brudos ~ said...

your right..
i want one!!

or maybe i can
to learn to prance & hop like that..
i guess that would be weird huh?
not cute ..

ok ..
i want one again!!
:)
~ maggie ~

Delee said...

I love goats. This little one kind of looks and acts like Starry.

There are pygmy goats that do not get as large. Great lawnmowers.

Carol Murdock said...

awwwwwwwwwww! I did a post today on the Goats at Connemara, Poet Carl Sandburgs home.

lolit said...

i salute you guys for having the passion to really take care of those animals,it is sad though that these are most often neglected and ended at the slaughter house,so deeply frustrating.