We got a baby great horned owl in to the Wildlife Rehab abotut a week ago. Here he is looking silly sitting around in his little enclosure.

He looks half plucked and fuzzy, unkept, bent beaked and like he might not have use of his legs. Click on the photo below to see it enlarged -- This fella's a little Benjamin Buttonesque, wouldn't you say? But he is perfectly fine.. he just doesn't have a mommy. Except us of course! We clean up after him, give him a soft place to sleep, feed him all he needs so he can grow into his beautiful eyes. Those big, golden, mezmerising eyes are the only sign of what's to come.

Because you see, when he grows up, he will be among the most handsome and mysterious birds on earth in my opinion. Here's an idea of what he'll look like:

I took a little movie of him today, doing cute things in his cage which I will upload and post in the next few days, so please come back-- this little guy is quite amusing to see in motion.
4 comments:
Amazing! Can't wait for the videos. Birds change so much from birth to adulthood, more than any other animal maybe? And Great Horned Owls are mesmerizing! I heard a sound the other nice that might have been an owl- a little disconcerting and almost a human or cat-like meow. I have to remember to google owl sounds and see if I can find out what it was...
Ever since Harry potter i just ~Love~ a beautiful Owl X:-)
Love to watch owls... they are so beautiful with those penetrating eyes. Especially when they close their eyes and then open them again, always in slow motion. Fascinating!
Thanks Sydney...
Hi Sydney - looks like I've missed some of your posts, but I don't know how. I posted a comment on your injection experience with the big bird. Amazing. This little fellow looks so helpless! And you're right about his eyes. Quite hypnotic!
Post a Comment