Thursday, March 5, 2009

What a Treat.

Oh, yes it was. The day after I posted that there was a new baby giraffe born at the zoo (click here to read) I got to go in and say hello up close. Really, how lucky can a Naturegirrrl get?

At the start of the little vid below you can see him standing in his little pen, part from the adults, who you can clearly see a are quite a bit larger than he is. His dad is 17 feet tall, and the baby is only 5'9 (STILL, that's a few inches taller than me!).  The giraffes you see behind him are not the tallest ones in the group.



Keep in mind, that I was able to get this close by virtue of what I do with the zoo.  They are very careful to protect these animals as well as the people that visit them

I had an amazing day today at the Wildlife Rehab Center feeding the tiniest baby .... well, I don't want to spoil it. Please stop back tomorrow and see.

If you could visit up close with a baby animal, which would it be?

7 comments:

Laurie said...

Wow! I've never seen a giraffe nuzzle like that. What a moment and it's captured on film so we can see it! Awesome.

I would love to visit an infant cat of any kind. Tiger, leopard, lion ... I love the big cats!

meb said...

What a great video. He is absolutely gorgeous and already friendly, not afraid of humans. That's really awesome.

JGH said...

I clicked over from Joanne's blog because it sounded like you were writing about animals! What a thrill to see a baby giraffe-- such beautiful eyes...I'll have to show my kids!

Sydney said...

JGH -- I'm thrilled you stopped by. You might want to click on one of the tabs of an animal you or your kids like. There are so many cute videos and pictures and stories in the archives. Look forward to seeing you again

Laurie -- I'm with you with baby big cats of any kind.

Meb - Wasn't that amazing? He was coming right for me but I backed up because I was trying to take a decent movie for here. When I saw that he went on to kiss the zoo lady, I was jealous!!! What I sacrifice for this blog! :-)

meb said...

Sydney...I went to my dashboard and it said you posted a "New Choices" 16 hours ago but it's not there. Did you delete it in favor of Flailing which is the last post I can get to which was on 2/27???? or is something going on?

My wv is devill... I think he's messing around here and he needs to get his hands OFF!

Let me know...you can email me. I'm at work, so this is the only way I could get this message to you.

nollyposh said...

Oh WoW i just think ...could i be so lucky? X:-) X:-) X:-)

Chris Daly said...

wonderful!!!