I think I've known Elvis for about 2 1/2 - 3 years now. It's very comforting to see him there each visit, like when you go home for the holidays and see that things haven't changed. Over that time I've seen him hanging with different pals - or should I say they hang with him, because he remains the constant, and the other players shift. For a few months last fall I saw him alone. But recently he's been hanging with two red faced Muscovy's and a teenager whose feathers were mostly irridescent green and black. That teen is now almost fully grown and red faced himself (Elvis is rare in that his facial skin is coal black, just like his pompadour)... and I noticed, as you might below, that it seems like the teen (in the middle, the bird I start the clip with) is the most anxious for food of the four.
Aaah youth. The young green former teen was amusing me to no end as he opened his mouth and did his hoarse whisper in his excitement over food. Muscovy's are actually called quacklesss ducks, as indeed, the only sound they make is the hissing noise you could hear if I weren't babbling incessantly over it while filming. Maybe if you play it back once more you can pick it up.
OK, listening back to this I hope I don't sound like the crazy duck lady or something. I'm a former big city celebrity stylist. I do not wear a bubushka and push around an abandoned grocery cart, with only birds for friends. Just sayin'
What saddened me a little was to see that Elvis seems to have been reduced to the bottom of the pecking order. While the young guy in the middle was most aggressive, the other two red faced ducks were on each side of him, getting their share... while Elvis drifted in the background. He knows I will throw some to him, in fact, I try not to obviously favor him (even though I do). I've seen this hovering behavior from ducks before... one who is interested in food but is not part of the gang I'm feeding. But there you often see the order play out as one or two in the gang will chase the hoverer away once I throw a morsel in his direction, even if there is plenty for all. And it seemed that when I threw to Elvis the young buck wasn't happy about it, and Elvis discreetly swam away a little. It made me wonder if Elvis was getting old, and losing his mojo.
I don't know how long ducks actually live. Wikipedia (which we treat as accurate but technically may not be) says 10-20 years but THIS ARTICLE says 7-8. I have also read 3-4. Certainly in this park, there is more protection than out in the wild, so he should make the higher end of estimates. The great circle of life is evident here, just like it is for us... Muscovy's are a hearty bird and have few health issues so I think he'll be around for a long time. Especially if I have anything to do with it.

6 comments:
Thought I'd pay a reciprocal visit. And not only did I enjoy Elvis, but on one of t your other blogs, I really enjoyed the piece you wrote on your father. He sounds like a man I would have loved to meet…and I know we'd have had plenty of adventure yarns to trade.
Anyway, I'll be back. Just wanted to let you know how much I liked your postings.
Sweet duckies! May Elvis live a long and happy life!
With you there to watch over Elvis, I'm sure he'll get his fair share of the food. This youngun' needs to be taught a lesson or two about honoring your elders.
Actually, you are a crazy duck lady and we like that part of you as much as the stylist.
I love seeing your new world and all that is in it. You really live each day and sharing it with us is a special gift from you.
I do like Elvis and feel that pain of being forced back by the newer and younger of the flock. It's not easy but it's the circle of life. He's tough and he has you on his side so I think he'll be sticking around for awhile.
Meb- Agreed!
Laurie -- I laughed when I read your comment. You're RIGHT, I am a crazy duck lady, and squrriel too..
Hello Ms. Lahtidah -- I like your name. Seems like he has all of us pulling for him.
Grizzled -- I will write you a better note back on your blog.
You can read more about Elvis if you click the tag ELVIS on the right of the blog home page. Thanks for liking him too!
That's sad! Reality in the wild is harsh sometimes. Glad you are there to take special care of him.
Post a Comment