Flash forward to last week, I was having a now-rare outing to a coffee shop which is flanked on each side by ivy covered brick, with plentiful live Oak trees all around it's small parking lot. Optimal setting for a nursery, I guess, as there are bird nests everywhere.
Picnic tables are out in case you want to enjoy the setting, which I do, as in the next month or so, the heat will be prohibitive. While sitting outside with my berry scone and decaf au lait, I completely ignored their flimsy "do not feed the birds" sign and made sure some crumbs happened to be on the table top. I got to witness a mother feeding breakfast to her fledgeling, and actually got it on film, so you can too!
Actually, the thrill is that she took a crumb right from my fingers, which I caught (akwardly) on a different clip.
Actually, the thrill is that she took a crumb right from my fingers, which I caught (akwardly) on a different clip.
I've come to recognize fledgelings. They chirp A LOT (even in the bird world, kids are demanding and endlessly so) and flutter their little wings with such animation as they do... not sure if it's just getting them strong, or if they just don't have control of them yet, or if it serves another purpose (if you do know, will you comment?). You can see that though this little one's still chirping and wing-beating for mom to feed him or her, it manages to peck at a crumb here and there.
Flash Forward again -- Two days after I shot this, I was in the Wildlife Rehab Center, and the inn is full, so to speak. Baby bird season is in full swing and the incubators are packed with eggs that people brought it, and all kinds of birds in every stage of development. Starlings, Killdeer, sparrows, rock doves, pigeons, grackles, herons.... I was opening the tank lids and, as if I was on the edge of their nests this time, the many little mouths with developing beaks opened WIDE to me, exposing tender pink throats, their heavy heads still wobbly on their necks.
Flash Forward again -- Two days after I shot this, I was in the Wildlife Rehab Center, and the inn is full, so to speak. Baby bird season is in full swing and the incubators are packed with eggs that people brought it, and all kinds of birds in every stage of development. Starlings, Killdeer, sparrows, rock doves, pigeons, grackles, herons.... I was opening the tank lids and, as if I was on the edge of their nests this time, the many little mouths with developing beaks opened WIDE to me, exposing tender pink throats, their heavy heads still wobbly on their necks.
I went down the line feeding tiny berries, crickets and soaked catfood pellets to each, depending on their size and diet, with a tweezer (essentially my beak), playing mother to them all.
I simply can't believe I get to do these things.
I simply can't believe I get to do these things.

5 comments:
Sydney…
The fluttering of fledglings is a holdover from nest behavior—a way of getting attention: "Feed me! FEED ME!" This will often hang on (the behavior) until the bird is more or less fully grown. You'll sometimes see what appears to be three adults, of whatever species—and when one finds some tidbit, suddenly one of the remain two hops over and begins fluttering a quivering, asking for a handout. This is simply a set of parents still dealing with their grown-up offspring. The bird version of having a son or daughter who graduated college but still lives at home, and regularly raids the refrigerator.
the little pleasures of life...thanks for sharing those wonderously simple videos!
That bird clip is just the cutest. Birds are so much fun to watch.
Really like this blog, I checked out some of your other posts, very interesting.
Do you work at a wild life rehab center or do you volunteer there? You must really like it. It would be so cool to take care of such a variety of animals.
Grizzled -- Thank you!! That makes total sense, and now I think of that wherever I hear (even if I don't see) that anxious, reptetivie baby bird chirp from up in the trees. I am so glad to learn from someone who knows, instead of google!
Hey Ms. Teri! If anyone wants to see 4 adorable baby kittens, visit the Furrydance blog immediately!!!!
Welcome Crochet Lady -- I wrote you a response on your blog. I volunteer at both places and then get a lot of extra interaction at the Park near my house. And at coffeeshops, lol.
Hey Bird Lady! I love that you got the mom feeding the baby. So awesome to see that over and over.
The other night I caught part of a show about the penguins at Sea World in FL. They showed one of the people feeding the baby penguins by hand and it made me think of you.
Post a Comment