Wednesday, June 3, 2009

FUNNY BUNNY LIPS!

OOOOH, are you ready for a chuckle? A little glee? Recently I did a day long animal handling class at the zoo, as a part of being a docent. We learned how to handle everything from a goat (that's THIS GENTLE ONE, who I now can take around the zoo on a leash for the children to pet) to a ferret and everything in between -- a chicken, a rock dove/pigeon, a lizard, a snake, a pretty white rat, a gerbil, a Welsh Rabbit, a Running duck.... I'll stop now.

All the while this giant Welsh Rabbit was sitting there in a cage at eye level, doing hysterical bunny things with his soft, gray bunny lips. I caught a few moments of him drinking and knew it would be fun to post here.



(Unlike photos you can enlarge with a simple click of the mouse, you are forced to see a reduced version of these mini-movies on blogger. If one of you knows a trick I don't to make this happen, do tell!)

Turns out I am terribly allergic to bunnies, so my lungs closed up, my eyes watered and I coughed and wheezed for three days after! I was in an enclosed room with several of these while we trained on the other animals. I guess I won't be taking one of them out to greet the public. 

Are any of you animal lovers also allergic to animals? Which one(s)? Do any of you have or ever had a bunny?

7 comments:

lolit said...

ohhh, just take extra care in dealing with these creatures,you are sensitive to their furs. the bunny is cute on his picture.

nollyposh said...

wOw bunny allergy! Well there will be no kissing the Easter Bunny for you now! You might have to follow up with an allergist? A friend of mine has a course of injections for her cat allergies and it means she is able to have cats in her home, perhaps they can do this with rabbits too? (Depends i guess on how severe it is?) xox

JoeinVegas said...

Bunnies? Sorry, looks like you must content yourself with the goats and birds.

Laurie said...

Loving the bunny lips!
So far no animal allergies but I seem to be developing several flower allergies which is difficult since gardening is my favorite relaxing thing to do. Maybe it's just this year, or at least that's what I'm telling myself.

Wondering Woman said...

My neighbors bought their kids a white rabbit one Easter and a week later threw it outside to fend for itself. This was in the city, not the country. She had oil spots on her back from sleeping under cars, dogs chased her up and down the alley, and she ate my flowers as soon as they were planted. Finally I couldn't take it anymore and caught her. I brought her inside to live for a year until the neighbors moved away (warnibg.... rabbits love to chew on paper and the fabric on the underneath of chairs). After that I built her a nice house and enclosure (another warning... put wire on the ground before building pen or the rabbit will dig out in 3minutes). Had her for almost 10 years before she died. She loved to play with my 3 big dogs (I worked with them one at a time until I knew they wouldn't hurt her) and in the afternoons I'd let them out together and she'd chase them around the yard. They thought it was big fun. If anyone is thinking of getting a rabbit they need lots of shade, heat is their enemy.... Anyway, turns out it was a good thing the neighbors dumped her because I really enjoyed the time I had with her.

Sydney said...

Hi Everyone.

Joe, thanks for stopping by and I hope you'll come visit again.

Lolit... I could not even attempt to clean them. It comes on in a few minutes. How I fed those few day old babies this spring at the Center I have no idea... Maybe they were so fresh and tiny I got by jsut long enough to get a meal or two in them.

Nolly -- my great secret is that I haven't ever been able to have a pet in my adult life because I am so allergic to EVERYTHING there is no hope for me. MY allergists have always been shocked when they've tested me and said I had the biggest reactions to anyone in their careers. That's why it's such a miracle I can do this much. I don't understand why the gods made me such an animal lover but bestow me with such a roadblock, but we all have our things don't we!

Laurie, most of us do develop allergies as time moves on, so you may be right.

Wondering Woman, I read your comment with great interest and learned a lot. I'm sure everyone else did too. Thanks a lot. Would love to hear more stories about your rabbit...

Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

Cute! One of the vet techs I used to work with was severely allergic to bunnies too...but not dogs, cats, or horses...

I smiled reading Wondering Womans comment...happy ending