When we went up to our cabin 10,000 feet into the Rockies, I bought the cheapest hummingbird feeder Ace Hardware had and melted down about a cup of sugar in a cup of water. When it cooled I filled the feeder, hung it on a nail off the porch and hoped that something might happen in the 4 days we were there. Well in literally 4 minutes there was the distinct almost cartoon like whiz or whir of their rapidly beating wings and lo and behold, this is what I saw outside the front window.
I am leaving out of town for an important week Monday and have half the day eaten up tomorrow with a seminar. There is much more I want to tell on this, and I have so many pictures of colorful birds that stopped by our porch to eat the seed I put out. I pre-loaded a bunch of things, and I may be able to send those from my iphone while I'm gone, and can pick back up with the birds of Colorado when I return.
I look forward to a little more free time in the summer and the chance to do more research for my posts than I have been able to in the last 4 months.
Saturday, June 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
have a great trip!! look forward to your birdie stories!!
I know that feeling of awe. We did the exact same thing last week. I thought I'd heard the unmistakable thrrrummm of a hummingbird so we boiled water and prepared their food by dissolving the sugar into, allowed it to cool and hung it up. Within the first two minutes, two had arrived to drink. They're incredible creatures. Looking forward to more. :)
I make Hummingbird water with 1 part sugar to 4 parts H2O. I have a feeder on my kitchen window and I have at least 2 hummers - I female and 1 male. They are very terratorial so I won't ever see 2 on my feeder at once. Hummers are soo neat.
Margo
Our hummers feed on the flowers in the garden and they love it. Of course, we live where there are flowers all year round! I'm always surprised at how territorial they are and how loud they can be when they are staking their territory.
You will be missed, Syndey. Enjoy every minute of your week away.
What a great video Sydney. I've only seen a live hummingbird once, so this was perfect. Thanks for sharing your passion for nature with us.
Post a Comment