At the zoo they treat the animals like GOLD I tell you. Every day there is something different done for enrichment, which helps animals do the things they would normally do if in the wild. Some enrichment is geared to stimulate their senses, others recreate natural behaviors, some make them think and some are just for pure fun.
Here is a cardboard box that some kids in a special zoo program turned into a "Meerkat Manor". These curious little fellows go straight to work, exploring every crevice in their comical way.
Oh yes, they are busy! But look what happens when a plane goes by (which you can easily hear amid the din of excited zoo visitors).
All the action stops and they snap to attention and peer up at the skies. Are you a fan of the meerkat?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Yes, oh yes. Busy little fellows. Sydney your camera work is almost ready for your own show!
I think those little critters are so facinating to watch.
They're wonderful critters. You must love what you do.
What a riot! I thought they would run into their little "house" and hide, but no, it looks like: "Up in the air . . . it's a bird . . . it's a plane . . . it's SUPER MAN!"
Hilarious. Are these babies? For some reason, I thought meerkats were the size of 6th graders. These look like chihuahua sized critters if that.
How old are they? I love this site . . . I hope you get it "published" someday on film with all the interactive videos. It would be great for grade-school science classes.
Woodswoman --
They are not babies, they are really about the size of your foot.
Kilpy and Woodswoman, thank you but I will need to get a lot better at filming things... I just quick whip out my digital still camera and take little snippets as I am in the midst of working. If I were really could just concentrate on photographs or video it might be a whole different quality... Then again, animals move so fast, and you need to be quick and get what you can before they are gone. Hopefully this summer I can improve a little, since I will have a little more free time.
Thanks Hillary, I surely do!
Crochet lady , they are fascinating. Have a very complex society and order. I guess that's why the animal planet show was so popular.
Post a Comment