...and I just have to SMILE
This fawn and white Indian Runner duck belongs to the zoo, and is the first animal I took out on grounds for the visitors to enjoy after I completed my animal handling training -- the last part of the close to 9 month training process it takes to become a proper docent.
This breed is aptly named, because they don't waddle, they run, and when they get where they're going, they often stamp their feet as if they are very excited, or had a lot of Starbucks. There is only one Runner in The Park, and I took a shine to him right away because of these charming antics. CLICK HERE to see him.
While this one is trained to be held, I found he was more comfortable when I set him on the top of his carrier. Think about it. Ducks are low on the food chain, and anything bigger than it, trying to hold it is akin to being caught to be eaten. While this duck was doing fine in my arms, I wanted him to be as comfortable as possible, and he was very well behaved while standing. I was impressed!
This breed is aptly named, because they don't waddle, they run, and when they get where they're going, they often stamp their feet as if they are very excited, or had a lot of Starbucks. There is only one Runner in The Park, and I took a shine to him right away because of these charming antics. CLICK HERE to see him.
While this one is trained to be held, I found he was more comfortable when I set him on the top of his carrier. Think about it. Ducks are low on the food chain, and anything bigger than it, trying to hold it is akin to being caught to be eaten. While this duck was doing fine in my arms, I wanted him to be as comfortable as possible, and he was very well behaved while standing. I was impressed!
I've grown to LOVE love LOVE ducks and geese after spending quite a bit of time with them at The Park next to my house, where they reside in abundance. I've gotten to know who hangs with whom and what their personalities are like, what each pecking order is, etc. In fact, between my time there, The Zoo and The Rehab Center, I have come to have a real respect, love and appreciation for all kinds of living being that I never thought I'd feel that way about.. all because I have spent some time learning about them and observing them.
They say you can't hate someone who's story you know, and I believe this is true for animals as well. It's one of the things that attracts me to educating folks about them. The more people know about any animal, the more they may be respectful to them, teach their children and grandchildren to do so, and hopefully that will extend to caring about preserving them and their natural habitat.
It takes a lot to get a duck to trust you. This one was delightful -- well behaved (though he tried to pluck off my buttons and name tag repeatedly til I hid them) and very responsive to what I was asking of him. It's been in the triple digits here for most of the last three weeks (CLICK HERE). Though we stayed close to where he lives and I parked us in the shade, after 20 minutes he looked so hot, I packed him up to take him back for a dip.
And I think it was just the right thing to do. Without delay, he walked up his little plank and posed at the edge of his personal pond.
They say you can't hate someone who's story you know, and I believe this is true for animals as well. It's one of the things that attracts me to educating folks about them. The more people know about any animal, the more they may be respectful to them, teach their children and grandchildren to do so, and hopefully that will extend to caring about preserving them and their natural habitat.
It takes a lot to get a duck to trust you. This one was delightful -- well behaved (though he tried to pluck off my buttons and name tag repeatedly til I hid them) and very responsive to what I was asking of him. It's been in the triple digits here for most of the last three weeks (CLICK HERE). Though we stayed close to where he lives and I parked us in the shade, after 20 minutes he looked so hot, I packed him up to take him back for a dip.
And I think it was just the right thing to do. Without delay, he walked up his little plank and posed at the edge of his personal pond.
That quacking has quickly made the short list of my favorite sounds.
I look forward to taking this one out again and introducing him to many more people. And now that I've introduced him to you, what do you think?

14 comments:
I love the sound he makes and felt much cooler with a few head dunks!
The first two pics look animated especially if you take out the newpaper. Great post, Sydney!
Syd-
Have you seen Sophie the chicken lately. How is she coping in the heat.
THe duck is really cute.
Margo
Laurie - glad you like the sound too. Now matter how bad I might feel on any given day, that sound erases it all in a millisecond.
DOnna -- You're RIGHT! He does look like an animated cell or something! You nailed it.
Margo -- I have gone back several times with a net and have not seen the chicken since. Friday, when I took this duck out, I told the zoo folk about the chicken and they said it's been sneaking in the zoo... I am in a mission to convince them to take Sophie in... but if I could find her I'd take her to a new home. I'm convinced now it's not the best life for S.
Almost too perfect duck in the looks department. When I was a kid it was not uncommon for the neighbors to have ducks for pets. Wonderful post.
Kilpy -- I had no idea. You could have them in the back yard in the Los Angeles area? Maybe I am forgetting that you grew up outside of that?
He's wonderful. I love that first photo.. he almost looks like a toy. He's just too cute.
He's too cute! It must be so amazing to work with creatures like him.
oooo i am in love with that second photo!!!
So glad I stopped by, adorable..and I agree, hearing the lucky ducky speak to you made my day.
I came by the other day and saw this post...don't believe I didn't comment cause he is the cutest ducky!
His coloring is flawless and I had to play it twice just so I could listen to him again.
Wow! Very nice post. Interesting pictures...
very gud posting............m a very gud fan of nature..............ypu have tried to share the evolution of lives........liked u blog.gud job dear
http://deepakchhatbar.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment