Squirrels amuse me to no end. And gobble up my heart hook, line and sinker. They are just so darn sweet AND funny. Here are some glimpses into what I've seen over the last 18 days raising this little Gray. He started out weighing 55 grams, and ended up at 130 g over the course of these pictures.
To start with, a normal looking pose..... a few days after I got him. Here was already putting on weight and eating more vigorously. Sleeping like a little angel.

Sometimes I'd open the lid and see him just plain crashed out. Zzzzzz

Fuzzy white belly full of milk. He grew so much between meals that clearly his cells were doing important work when he slept like this. I literally could see that his tail hair had grown longer, or that his ears had suddenly popped up from being pinned to his little head, or that the pads on his paws had gotten fuller from morning to the noon meal.
Having just stretched his legs waaaaay out... Like an adolescent boy, his feet got big first. If you saw the little yawn that goes with this kind of thing, you'd keel over from cuteness overload.

I call this the Keith Haring pose.

One of my favorites. The ankles crossed, the big tootsies. His pink little mouth, how soft and furry his little chest and chin and forearms are. And we won't make any comments about other visible body parts....

From his first box, he grew to being in a heated tank. Since he had no buddies, I put a stuffed kitty in there with him. Clearly, he liked it. The squirrel isn't in the middle of climbing here. No, he's fast asleep.

I have been giving him nut eating lessons (that needs to be a whole post of it's own), but he just doesn't seem to understand the stuff in the bowl is to eat. I died laughing when I found him passed out with his face in the food, like a drunk in his beer. You can click on any picture to see it larger... This one might be the one to do that with.

Lastly, just this morning I went over to look and this is what I saw. He opened his eyes a little as I snuck the lens under his "roof". I lied, you need to click to make this one larger too.
If they are this funny when asleep, no wonder they are so entertaining when they're awake. I hope this has made my case, or at least, made you smile today.
To start with, a normal looking pose..... a few days after I got him. Here was already putting on weight and eating more vigorously. Sleeping like a little angel.
Sometimes I'd open the lid and see him just plain crashed out. Zzzzzz
Fuzzy white belly full of milk. He grew so much between meals that clearly his cells were doing important work when he slept like this. I literally could see that his tail hair had grown longer, or that his ears had suddenly popped up from being pinned to his little head, or that the pads on his paws had gotten fuller from morning to the noon meal.
I call this the Keith Haring pose.
One of my favorites. The ankles crossed, the big tootsies. His pink little mouth, how soft and furry his little chest and chin and forearms are. And we won't make any comments about other visible body parts....
From his first box, he grew to being in a heated tank. Since he had no buddies, I put a stuffed kitty in there with him. Clearly, he liked it. The squirrel isn't in the middle of climbing here. No, he's fast asleep.
I have been giving him nut eating lessons (that needs to be a whole post of it's own), but he just doesn't seem to understand the stuff in the bowl is to eat. I died laughing when I found him passed out with his face in the food, like a drunk in his beer. You can click on any picture to see it larger... This one might be the one to do that with.

Lastly, just this morning I went over to look and this is what I saw. He opened his eyes a little as I snuck the lens under his "roof". I lied, you need to click to make this one larger too.

21 comments:
OMG beyond cute, adorable and funny. What a great way to start the day!
Seriously cute, left me smiling for sure.
I just love this little guy and it's been fun reading your posts about his growth and his sleeping habits. Your enjoyment doubles mine!
I'm a big squirrel fan. They are so abundant in the city, but out here in the country I only see one every now and then. A friend of mine raised a baby squirrel that fell out of it's nest during a storm. When it got big enough, my friend would take him outside and put him in a tree. It always came back until the day it didn't. Decided it was ready for the real world.
Ellen-- I noticed there are not so many in the country, wherever I go. Maybe they have learned populus = food? Or maybe a few less predators roam the suburbs and cities? Its a shame as all I want to move out and get land for is to have some squirrels in my own trees, just like your friend. I guess I would be able to keep this little guy (and others)and do a soft release rather than turn him over to a rehabber who can. *sigh* someday.
These are soo cute. I love the one where he is in a cave. I want one.
Did you see a Rose is Rose cartoon today?
http://comics.com/rose_is_rose/?Page=2 I think this is the one it has a squirre1 in it.
Margo
So cute!!!
Oh he's just lovely. My SOs sister rehabilitates orphaned critters and she had a tiny (just a day or three old) squirrel) up at the cottage with us last week. It was still pink - mostly hairless though her whiskers were beginning to grow. She seemed to be thriving and then suddenly went downhill. She began to bloat and become less active. She died at about a week old. Sad, but expected. At least she was loved. I'll be blogging about her sometime in the next week or so.
It's been many years since I have seen a squirrel - and never a baby one. Thanks for the cuteness.
Rochelle~ thank YOU! I am SMILING from ear to ear~ I need that.
LOVE YOU!
e.
I didn't realize how lucky we are to have oodles and oodles of Red Squirrels in the yard. I couldn't throw a rock without hitting one (not that I would). There are Flying Squirrels at night and an occasional Fox Squirrel stops by seasonally.
Baby squirrels make me smile. I was rehabbing squirrels about the time my skinny, long-legged nephew, Todd, was going through a growth spurt. To this day, I can't see a baby squirrel without thinking about Todd, and vice versa. Thanks for the great pics!
THis is cute
adorable!!!
Rock,
These are wonderful. I love your descriptions. BTW, my friend took a social media class and was told that the minimum amount we should post to our blogs is every two weeks. I decided that's doable for me, so Words is back up and I'll be starting my Interfaith blog soon.
He is so adorable, and I have to ask the question . . . what will he do when you release him into nature . . . or does he just stay there in his little bed with his blankie and stuffed friends and become the cutest BIG photo-op squirrel we've ever seen?
Sydney, great photos, and I can see growing is very tiring work. The little guy is all tuckered out. : ) Thanks for the photos
HUGEest BIGGest SMILE EVA ~here~ X:-)
uh-dorable!
Kelly R.
trying to catch up with my favorite blogs and awww, these photos are soo endearing, and he has his own little kitten, cute!
I really enjoyed this post. Lots of work on your part. Bravo.
TRULY A COURSE IN MIRACLES
Rochelle - you ARE the Angel for this tiny being - which allows one to believe in the concept of Angels who watch over US.
God bless you -- and THANK you. -- Madelyn (from Kate's computer)
Post a Comment