Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Another Miracle of Life

Today I added to the mounting list of once in a lifetime experiences I've racked up since moving to Houston (whoda thunk it): I fed two tiny baby flying squirrels. Now, we've had humming bird babies and baby rats, both of which are very small (and fascinating, not to mention cute), but these are the tiniest things I've ever held in my hand. And boy, they are eager to eat and grow.

We got them in the other day and before closing, D, the same woman who brought the pregnant dog over (see post below), asked if I'd feed the little ones before we all left. I went over to the tank and could not believe what I saw when I lifted the lid. I slipped my hand in there so when you view the video below you can get a sense of their size. I had no idea how I was going to hold something so small. It feels like you are holding nothing at all, and they seem terribly delicate. It's a miracle that they have life in them, but they do.

A drop of milk seems the size of a kiddie pool compared their little mouths, and one slip up from me and they could suffer dire concequences... but it all went fine.



LOOK at that tiny puss! And those feet! It is not an insect, or a little leaf that'd blown in the door. Nope, there is a nose, a little bit of whiskers, fur, ears and eyes, albeit closed.. and little paws and even littler nails. Check it this teeny weeny fella. When you are involved with nature, and all the creatures we share the planet with, the stunning miracle of it all becomes apparent. Incomprehensible really. All I know is... I'm grateful to be a part of it.

8 comments:

Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

This might be just the cutest, sweetest and for sure the smallest little creature you have filmed yet! I thought my tiniest kittens were small and fragile (they should weigh between 80-100 grams at birth and I have had a few in the 50-60 gram range that have made it, but oh so scary to see their little twigs of legs and so small that you are not sure how and where to grasp them.

How much did those little ones weigh?

Anonymous said...

sigh, thud.
tooooo cute
i would have to whip up a little pouch lined with fur on the sewing machine to tie to my body to put them in to take them everywhere with me hee hee hee i really would, they are sooooo cute, i wish they were still cuddled up with their mama but i am so very very very glad they have you and the others helping them get into life.
Thank you so much for helping them.
they are gorgeous.
eeek soooo cute
sigh
LOL
im in love
xxm

Anonymous said...

oh and by fur, obviously as a vego i mean FAKE FUR sorry little fur babies.
i meant pretend NOT REAL.
xxxx me

ellen abbott said...

So late in the season to be having babies!

btw, how do you like the way the bradford pear trees turned after the snow?

Laurie said...

Oh my goodness ... So tiny to have such details. Thank you for sharing with us, my friend. I have to share this with others so they can ooh and aah with us!

Rockwrites said...

I know Ellen, we were all thinking that... How did this happen?

Teri, that's a lot coming from you. I don't know how much they weighed, but it had to be under 20 grams?

SweetMango, it's so great to see your comments... I know we are kindred souls in the swoon department. I laughed when I read the THUD!

Laurie, thanks for passing it on... hopefully it will make several new smiles, but it helps that these little ones get to serve as ambassadors for their species at the same time.

Mwuuah to all!

misskilpy said...

OMG they are the tiniest of creatures. What a saint.

The Tusk said...

hey Merry Xmas and Happy Holidays to you, am enjoying the joy you bring with the baby squirrel pix.

Sorry I'm not more fluent and flowery with my words, everyone commenting has said everything so wonderfully, even chiming in after everyone has said so many wonderful things. In my response I feel I sound so awkwardly out of tune and non poetic. But I know, what counts is nothing at all but that as one of your readers we can respond and are at best appreciate what you offer. I read with amazement and wonder at the tiny miracles of life we share with nature.

You are wonderful for who you are, and the work you inspire in other people.