I went over to get a closer shot. He posed for this and then, in the blink of an eye, slipped off the log and disappeared into the water.
Sunday, January 17, 2010
Finding Warmth in Winter
I always enjoy strolling through The Park on sunny days when it's quiet, because it's then that the turtles --of which there is quite a healthy population -- come out to sun themselves. Being cold blooded, they must regulate their body temps by absorbing sun through their shells. I stood far away from this lone fella, but you can see that he indeed noticed me when I said something about getting vitamin D out loud. He then turned his head back, like George Hamilton. Gawd forbid he get a tan line from turning his head too long. Or maybe he realizes he's got a handsome profile (I was kind enough to shoot this from his good side).
I went over to get a closer shot. He posed for this and then, in the blink of an eye, slipped off the log and disappeared into the water.
Now in a completely different part of the lake there is a little island and I usually can find a set of about 8 turtles who crawl up on a sunny patch on the shore, protected by surrounding greens from the wind, which on this day was quite chilly.
Someone ought to get wise and set up a little shack with cocktail service in the middle there. Where's the Geiko gekko these days? If he needed a gig on the side he'd be a perfect fit.
I went over to get a closer shot. He posed for this and then, in the blink of an eye, slipped off the log and disappeared into the water.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I'm happy to say my nearly 20 year old red ear slider came through the arctic blast.
Makes it almost feel warmer just watching him...
Love the turtles. I'd like to lay out on a rock!
Great to see all the turtles tanning themselves. Getting warm as you explained. I've never seen so many in one place.
Post a Comment