See the two parts of the egg with brown inside at the back left, right by the thermometer? Hard to believe she was in there just seconds before. (Click to see any photo enlarged). Notice that she is still wet and has a piece of the shell still on her. I don't know if the mother normally cleans them (I doubt it) or if they just teeter around (this one tried it's new legs and was wobbly, then had to stop and rest every few seconds) until they're all fluffy.
We're not sure but it looks like none of the other eggs seem to be viable. There has been no tapping from the beaks inside chipping away to get out. They were candled and you could not see much of anything inside. But they'll stay in the incubator for a few more days to see if we are wrong.
Check back in a few days and I will try to get some footage of her once she's fuzzy and full of energy and peeps!
Until then I have some questions -- Is this a first for you too? Of all the animals in the world, which would you like to see being born or immediately after like I did? I know, I know, so many to choose from. Then tell me your top three!

9 comments:
Besides that I could list EVERY animal, I really thought about it and I would like to see baby squirrels. I guess I have taken care of so many now and have gotten to know their ways so intimately that I am curious to see a real nest up close, see how a mother gives birth and then tends to the "pinkies". I know how I feed them, but how to they nurse in a little nest? And how often? And how much milk could their mother possibly have when sharing it with siblings, when I can give each one several cc's.... many many questions!
What a beautiful little critter. Thanks for sharing. I've seen chicks in the process of breaking out of their shells at a couple of exhibits through the years and it is indeed fascinating. Aside from my own human babies, both of which awed me with their respective births, I think I'd quite like to see the birth of a giraffe - preferably onto a soft surface. The logistics seem incredible - that's quite a height from which to drop.
I think they expand so much when they take their first few breaths so that it seems like they could never have been in that egg. I haven't see them hatch but last year my sister had five little ducklings hatch and also a chicken. Unfortunately none survived.
Oh my Cod...I didn't realize they were so big! The smallest kitten I ever had was 47 grams, about the size of an "old style' pack of gum. How much does a newborn duckling weigh?
Ellen, I know you've had experience with your sisters birds... I loved those stories, but I also learned that if I want to have my own someday when I have land, it ain't necessarily going to be easy. Yet in Hermann Park, all the ducks and geese seem to do fine -- I see most of the same ones year after year... but many of their ducklings don't make it of course. The food chain and all. :-/
Teri-- This one was rather long, and definitely bigger than a just hatched chicken. I don't know the grams but I will see if I can find out.
I get baby squirrels under 47 G... I thought kittens were the same, but I guess kittens get to stay invitro long enough to develop more before being born than squirrels do. They are neonates -- at least kitties have fur, ears, and though closed, eyes that are further along than newborn squirrlies.
Hilary -- I think your kind of childbirth of course it the most awe inspiring miracle the gods can serve up! I am with you in that my top choice if not squirrels would have been giraffes. We have had two giraffe babies at the zoo born in the time I've been volunteering there and I am sure there will be more so I might just see if I can find a way to witness that. (And yes, I'll be tempted to bring an aerobed for the little one to land on!)
Thank you, Sydney. It is a first for me. I am glad you had your camera with you.
Kittens, and puppies, should weigh between 80-100 grams at birth. Most of my Cornish Rex are 80-90 grams, and my largest at birth was 115 grams...littlest being 47 grams
Post a Comment