Every day I'm at the zoo or the Wildlife Rehab Center or even the park, I discover the lovability of an animal that might not have seemed so appealing before. That is why zoos exist and why injured and rescued animals, who can't be returned to the wild, do such an important job as ambassadors to people like me. Here's a great example.
What do you think of when you think PORCUPINE?
Perhaps the word OUCH comes to mind. Nuisance? Or maybe nothing much comes up at all. Well, watch this and you'll never think of nothing again!
If only these videos didn't translate so small on blogger! I hope you can see that his keeper starts the video by stroking his head... in fact, this guy's quills aren't prickly at all if you pet him from the head back (though I'd only try it on a a tame one who knows you). They're plenty sharp if he raises them in a certain way, which he does if scared or threatened. And like the nice lady says, it IS a myth that they shoot their quills -- Someone took too much purple pyramid and made that one up.
This species spends most of their time in trees around North and South America. They eat some fruit but mostly bark and stems, which helps to keep their teeth filed and in good shape. They can weigh between 12-35 pounds and live about 5-7 years in the wild, but much longer in captivity.
And, just like the squirrels I have come to adore (a love I hope to have encouraged in you too), porcupines are also rodents! The R-word and all it's squeamish connotations is quickly dissolving isn't it?
Who knew he'd be so talented and oh so fuzzy of face and paws? And how gently he holds his keepers hand to eat from it. Porcupines take their time and that's something we could all do a little more of.
If you aren't won over yet, our little pal will just have to charm you by saying goodbye and thanks for considering him. He's just decided to do it, for now, with his back to you.
.
Monday, November 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

12 comments:
Too cute! Thanks Sydney I love seeing all of these fur friends of yours :)
xxsm
Cute little critter. I do love the wave!
I learned something new today Sydney. I always thought they could shoot their quills. Not sure I'll ever need to know this fact, since I doubt I'll come in contact with a porcupine, but still nice to learn something I didn't know before.
Sydney, I love your adventures in nature!! Not only do them make me appreciate what's around me that much more, but they bring back memories.
We have special days at our zoo where they bring a lot of the critters out for the kids to get up close and personal with. I'll never forget the look in my daughters eyes when she got to pet a porcupine. It took a bit of convincing, and I had to do it first, but the look of excitement and wonder was priceless! Too bad I didn't have a camera!!
I got a picture while on vacation this past summer of a huge black porcupine with white tipped quills that had just been startled. His quills were all standing on end. It was awesome!! The pictures not that great since it happened so fast, but I'll try to remember to post it on my blog.
That is so so sweet. I use to also work at a zoo in Canada where I lived, and people use to laughed when they would ask me which one was my favourite at the zoo, and I would answer, the porcupine! He really was, he was so sweet and gentle ~ it use to make me sad that he was so misunderstood :0)
You mentioning his kind here really makes me smile, and once again, it just prooves that you're not only a fantastic writer, but that you also have the greatest heart :0)
I have only seen a porcupine in the wild once. It was between Albany and Cooperstown NY in the mountains. I don't think they are very common here in the deep South.
I was amazed at how big it was. I guess I thought it would be small like a hedgehog.
Thanks for an interesting story.
how adorable!! love his little thoughtful face as he chews. I think it was in one of the Gerald Durrell books that I read that he says they have little rubbery stubs for quills when they are born. Would be so amazing to work with them. Thanks.
Hi Bindu-
Yes, they are rubbery when born and they very quickly harden and become sharp. But they only come out as such when a predator or something scary is near. And then they detach rather easily and have some kind of double ended hook that makes them embed in the bad guy's skin -- hard to get out. Pretty darn effective! Wonder why this animal of all of them, got such effective armor?!?!
How sweet- I would have never thought... and then to see that they are trainable. Always learning Syd...
thanks again for sharing something new and amusing.
You need to have your own nature show. Awesome!
ooooooooooh i love him!
it made my heart ~melt~ how he held the keepers hand awwwwhhhhh X:-)
Sydney I love your blog so much!!!
In Australia we have echidnas. They are quite different, smaller for one thing.
Post a Comment