As I wrote about HERE, and HERE, owls fascinate me, and I'm quite certain I'm not alone in that. The other day the head of the wildlife rehab shocked me when she told me I could pet the owl. This is one that is used for educational purposes, so getting used to different people is part of his or her life (She said you generally can't tell if owls and hawks and such are male or female -- unless there is a major size difference -- without it being determined surgically. Females would possibly be bigger, to better cover and protect her nest).
Anyway she told me to scratch with my nails behind the head, as owls do that to each other. She also scratches them under the wings. I tried these as you will see below. He got something in his eye when we brought him over to the perch, some feather fluff or something, so he keeps it closed. Would not do that normally. Too bad, as you can see from one eye how intense it would be if (s)he had both open!
This was the second time I did it. The first time, the owl's mouth was open a little, but the tongue was not so obvious. This time I didn't feel right when that was happening, so I tried a few calmer strokes and wrapped it up quickly. Didn't want to upset the bird. I'm just now wondering if my holding the little silver camera was the problem. Maybe it looks like something a vet would use!
Getting the chance to see these birds without a cage and up close is a magnificent thrill. To touch one was utterly surreal.I can't get over how lucky I am. My life has been enriched beyond measure to be able to be near, help, love and share the world with all of these animals.
This is my 108th post. 108 is a significant number in many spiritual teachings. Since I missed my hundredth, I thought the 108th would be something to mention. One hundred and eight stories about animals. I look forward to ten times more.
Saturday, January 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Wow, Sydney - how absolutely thrilling! It's incredible when a bird or animal that has the capacity to hurt you or shred you to bits chooses to allow you near it and chooses to share its space with you. I'd feel so honored. Thanks for posting the video - I called my husband over to watch it too, and he's amazed as well. :)
PS - congrats on the 108th post!
mE tOO and LOOking forward to many, many more... i mean what would my morning cuppe bE without a visit to you here??? X:-)
Thanks for taking me along as you go to the zoo. I get all the best views without have to clean out the cages! But, really, I know you enjoy that part, too. There is nothing bad about a day with the animals. : )
Obviously your alergies have subsided that you are able to have such close contact with all these types animals. I so happy for you and for us as you share your experiences. These are things that probably none of us would see if not for you. Thanks so much!
actually Meb, the sad truth is, after I petted the owk, I then went to sweep behind some feed cans, and within baout 4 minutes I had a terrible asthama attack, one that I haven't had for years. For the next several days I struggled with the after effects.... I just don't mention it, because I am grateful that is not my reaction at all times (like it used to be)> I am terribly allergic to birds, and cats and dogs and rabbits and horses, etc.. as well as the dust, grasses, molds etc that are aournd everything. I'm not so into reptiles but I bet those are fine. I do seem to do OK with Squirrels and waterfowl so go figure! I'm not asking any questions, just going with it!
oooooooooo how totally cool!!
that eye!! how exciting!!!!!!
i heard owls last night..
love there howls...
happy 108!!
The Owl is my power animal and I just absolutely love them. I envy you for being so close to one... I'm sorry you had an allergic reaction though.
Post a Comment