This morning I arrived at the WIldlife Rehab center to find someone had brought in 19 baby ducks. While I've known them to be quite afraid of people, I was surprised to see all of them running right up to me. It was time for fresh food and water... but not before I cleaned out their lodgings.
Once I got all their tanks clean with fresh newspaper down and a soft towel covering half of it, I put in shallow dishes of chick feed and water and put the babies back in. They came running over to have a drink and their delicate little sips, and the long time that they helped the drop of water get down their throat cracked me up... Here is a little clip of that... It's the guy on the left that made me grab my camera.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Am having trouble as the kids have crossed our bandwith limit for the month and i am on dial up speed (arrgghhhh!)So although i cant actually see the little cuties i really dont need to as the way you write about them has them firmly pictured in my mind... the dear little fluffies X:-)
I found your blog by way of The Pink Cowboy and have just spent a nice half hour watchng your videos. I shall return.
Teri and the cats of Furrydance
So cute! I'm glad the enclosure was transparent so you could capture this for us.
They are adorable Sydney. I had to go back and watch the second one a second time since I was engrossed on the one on the left as you said... but I noticed there was a 4th one that seemed so low at the dish, I wondered if he was getting his share, so had to go back and take a look. He was doing OK. Thanks for sharing.
ha!!
i am having so much fun visiting you here sydney!!
are you a volunteer there? i would
LOVE to do that...
This reminds me so much of a time before you were born, long before you were born! One year for Easter, Dad decided that we needed baby chicks (Mom was thrilled, as you can imagine . . . NOT), so he brought home seven little baby downy ones. He put them in a wire cage in the basement, rather than somewhere in the fresh air, and we fed and watered them.
Very soon some of them began picking on one little one, and picked and picked him until he was sick, and then he died.
One after another, those chicks dropped, and I don't know whether it was a disease or the lack of outdoor air or what. I was probably six years old, maybe younger, and it was so sad.
It makes me doubly appreciative of what you are doing, what the agency is doing, and what many of us in the world know how to do now that we're "grown-ups", or at least we know what we DON'T know how to do.
Go forth . . . and save the baby animals!!!
Woodswoman
Post a Comment