Friday, March 6, 2009

Easter Arrived Early

As promised, here are some videos of what I did yesterday. There were some newborn bunnies, to add to the larger babies we have been caring for. I have never seen baby bunnies, and certainly none this small. Their eyes open in about 8 days, so we figure these might be anywhere from 3-6 days old.

How to describe. SOFT. Little folded back ears. REALLY squiggly and strong. Not so easy to feed. Here's how I first saw the squiggling little bunch of three. They are all curled together inside a small kleenex box. They have a little flannel in there and look how much room there still is with THREE bunnies.



I took one out to feed, which is a trick because my hand was larger than the hole on the kleenex box they were kept in. And it is a humbling sense of responsibility to handle something so tiny that is a living being. I put him on my lap for a moment while the milk was warming up.




Ooooh I just keep pressing play to watch these again and again. They're just too short but I don't want to take away from the job I have to do. I will post the video of me feeding this little one tomorrow. For better or worse, I've largely been a city girl so I have never seen bunnies like this. Have any of you seen bunnies this small in your yard?

7 comments:

Delee said...

OH SO CUTE!!!

We have a Quaker Cementary on the farm. I remember when I was small and my Mom would mow the grass, under the oldest grave stones would be nest of baby bunnies.

So happy they have you to care for them when you can.

Good luck on your second paper...

meb said...

So precious... never seen any so small and most hopefully not in my back yard. Too many other wild animals they would have to contend with.

Laurie said...

Cuteness overload! I've never seen a baby bunny that small. I'm so glad your hand is there to show us the size comparison. I'm in love!

nollyposh said...

oh i'm die-ing from cute-ness-ness!!!

bindu said...

I'm speechless. They are so adorable! Thanks for posting these.

Chris Daly said...

They are so cute. We used to have a rabbit warren near our old house. It is rare you see a rabbit that small out of the nest. Occasionally our cat would bring one home and we would rescue them and hope for the best.

Margo said...

I had a nest of baby bunnies in one of my flower boxes one year. I discovered them while I was watering and the plant started to move. I dug around and found 6 baby bunnies. I apologized for watering them then ran inside to get my camera. I picked one up and brought it inside to show Mom and she started yelling get it out - it might have diseases. I took it back out and put it with it's siblings. Mommy bunny would come at night and feed them making sure she tucked them all back safely out of sight. I took less than 2 weeks for them to get out of my plant. I was glad they had gone since my plant was suffering from lack of water. They stuck around on my patio and surrounding area for a little while then they were gone or big and looked like all the other rabbits in my yard. I had a second nest in the same spot the same summer. Needless to say that planter didn't do to well. The amazing part of the story is I used some very smelly - bunny repealant in these pots but it apparently was a bunny nursery attractor instead.
They are very cute and there was no way I was going to do anything to harm them. They also did not eat my plants in that box - I guess it was cover and they new that.