Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Regal Mr. Goose

Though I have a bear of a sore throat and have been laying low, I had the worst case of cabin fever, and so took a short walk in the park. I brought bread along and saw Mr. Goose, who had eaten some bread and strode to a puddle, left by torrential rains all weekend, for a drink. I decided to try to balance my digital camera and take a quick movie, hoping to capture a little of what I see when I have the privilege of feeding this truly magnificent creature by hand. It just doesn't capture it, but it's still something to see none the less. I also got his unique high pitched honk, which often sounds more like a plainitive wail, on tape. I've tried to describe it before to no avail.

Sometimes I bring cracked corn, but when I bring wheat bread, I make sure to only feed him the soft insides. He doesn't like usually like crusts unless he's in the water and can soften them first, but this time he ate some. He often bites it off with the little Barbie hair comb-like ridges that act as teeth on the back sides of his beak. I think when I start the video you can see a bit of that bread stuck in one side.



I like to think Mr. Goose trusts me. You can see he is very sensitive and notices when other people walk near. That's good, it will keep him out of danger.

This was one of those rare times that I see him out on a bachelor stroll, without Mrs. Goose. I read that Chinese Geese like Mr. G make great watchdogs because they trumpet as any one comes near your property... the four at The Park certainly do. And they also make great lawnmowers, though I'd still bet that horses and cows might beat our the goose for that (but and argument could be made that the goose leaves a LOT less fertilizer than the other two!).

I wish you could get a real sense of just how BIG he is. And he let me touch him once for a millisecond. It was truly the softest thing I'd ever felt.

Below he decided to walk away and eat some greens, which is what he often does in-between bread sessions (it cracks me up that he still has a bit of bread stuck in the corner of his beak). I think he picks up some gravel too, and it all contributes to digestion. These geese are so interesting. They know what's right for their bodies and strictly adhere to that. If only we could all follow those same instincts.

(I could not help but try to close in on his majestic fluffy backside)

11 comments:

miss kilpy said...

Amazing. How does he keep his feathers so snowy white?

Carol Murdock said...

Sydney.....are you saying Geese are smarter than humans? HA!
I love visiting your blog, thanks for stopping by mine!
Carol

Grizz………… said...

Ha! That's a pretty neat goose! Though I'm not sure he's any louder than my Canada pair who guard the yard near the river (well, right now the goose is nesting so it's the gander on guard duty).

He's marked quite nicely and looks very white and well-preened. And from his behavior, I'd say you have a friend.

Sydney said...

Dear Grizzled -- As promised, my goose clips. I loved reading about your geese and am jealous that you have mama on a nest. Mrs. Goose, always by Mr. G's side, disappears of and on this time of year, and I always hope I'll see her appear with goslings, but in three years it has never happened...

WritersP - Well, they seem smarter than me... I'm trying to watch my diet and yet, the leftover easter chocolate has found it's way to me every day this weekend.

Kilpy -- I have no idea, considering that things can be pretty muddy in the park after rains. He's just the most gorgeous thing I've ever seen!

lolit said...

i can see your love to this creature,amazing they are, lucky too,lol..they have you at their side.

meb said...

Sydney, Mr. Goose is beautiful. You are so fortunate to have created a relationship between the two of you.

Laurie said...

What a nice visit with Mr Goose. You two clearly have established a nice relationship. I always enjoy hearing you talk to the animals, but I have to say your bear of a cold has affected your voice. You almost don't sound like you. Hope you are better soon. (((Syndey)))

Sydney said...

Aaah Laurie -- You have good ears. I've been without my voice for nearly a week.

Lolit -- Thank you for your kind words. I AM smitten... It's such an honor to earn the trust of an animal.

Meb -- clearly you and I share the same good taste! :-)

bindu said...

Hope you're feeling better!

Erin said...

Cute duck waddle, hahaha. Can't believe no one has said "he has some junk in his trunk" yet.

Sydney said...

Thanks Bindu-- I feel better but my voice is shot... you can hear me barely squeaking something out as I shot the footage of the baby beaver with the bottle on the next post.

Erin--That would be you! Love it. He is so regal but his waddle does make him look like he has a nappie on...