Now here's an animal I'd never seen before volunteering as a Carnivore Keeper Aid at the zoo. It's called a fossa. It is the size of a really large cat and while feline in appearance in many ways, he has more of a doggie nose, and is incredibly strong. He also is quite agile. Related to the mongoose, not like that's very common either, but at least I'd heard of those.
If you've seen the animated film Madagascar, you've seen a fossa, who co-starred. I just recently saw it, because when you are educating children about animals (which I do at both the zoo and am training to do as a volunteer for the Wildlife Rehab and Education Center), it helps to see every modern animal movie out there so you can help them relate.
We do have clown fish at the aquarium, and when I say "Who here knows what Dora was" all the kids shout, "A CLOWN FISH". But that 's another post....
Take a look.
I love this little guy. On the mornings I worked in the Tiger House making breakfast for the lions, leopards, tigers, cougars and the fossa, he would rapidly pace around in the shape of a figure 8. You see, his little indoor house was right across from the kitchen door and he could see me cutting up and weighing meat for everyone, including him. We used to give him a big white rat on certain days (they are pristine, bread for food and not at all as funky as it sounds) and he'd playfully flip it up in the air over and over. I thought he was starving but apparently he just wanted to party.
As you've guessed, he's a carnivore. And in doing research I've read that they live up to 20 years in captivity... and oddly, can live 60 years in the wild. I'm not sure about that figure, as usually it's quite the opposite. Life is extended in captivity, for obvious reasons -- quality health care, protection from predators, loving care of devoted humans. I have no idea if that's right, but if I get a chance to ask his keeper at the zoo (the guy you hear talking), I'll report back.
My question is, have you ever seen one, and regardless, do you like this one?
Tuesday, April 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
That's kind of scary looking. I've only been to the Philly Zoo and the LA Zoo and I don't recall seeing one at either. Although, I went to the Philly Zoo as a fairly young child and the only thing I remember is the sound of the giant turtles mating. Now THAT's a learning experience for a child. :-D
We have two of them at the L.A. Zoo. They are amazing. I love the way they move.
Well, clearly, I wasn't all that observant at the L.A. Zoo visit. Woops! :-D It's time for me to make a trip back anyhow.
So cute! Such soulful eyes. I hadn't heard of this one before.
Nope. Never heard of one. I've been to the L.A. Zoo cause I live here...it's clearly one of the animals I need to focus in on. Thanks Syd.
I've never heard of them or seen one before, but I was fascinated watching this one. He is similar to a cat and I love cats, so I like the little guy.
i have never seen nor heard about this creature before....but one thing i admire most is your devotion to these animals,kudos to you Sydney!
WOW! I would love to see it playing with the bowling ball. Check my blog from April 22 about the muskrat siting I had. I can already hear you saying "Awwwww" when you see the pics I took. Thanks again for the wonderful peek into your wonderful world.
What a fascinating looking creature, I can certainly see both cat and dog features in his makeup.
60 years is a long time for animals to live in the wild. He certainly must be at the top of his food chain!
Amazing. I would love to see him move! His body looks like something between a cat and an otter and his face, like something morphed. I had never heard or seen a Fossa before! Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment