You may remember the first little introduction to this charming little screech owl at the rehab center. This little guy likes to sit and watch everyone in silence. All day he has a ringside view of the action -- every animal someone brings in, every VIP visitor, every volunteer goes by his cage or the front lobby, where on special days he enjoys perching in this little log house.
CLICK HERE if you'd like to see the other post I mentioned above.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
That's such a wonderful creature. How wonderful for you to see and enjoy all of these amazing animals. I'm so glad that you share. :)
OMG! How cute is that? His one eye seems a little smaller - was he hurt? Maybe I should go read your other post to see if you talked about this already.
I always thought a little owl would just be the perfect pet, like in the story - The Girl of the Limberlost. He sure is a cute fellow.
Screech owls are one of my very favorite birds. Have you got to hear the quavery, spooky call yet? I hope so.
Growing up, we always had a pair of screech owls nesting in one of the squirrel boxes my Dad built and secured in the backyard trees to substitute for large cavities. Sometimes they'd raise three or four owlets, once or twice as many as eight! Now that's a real sight—eight tiny owlets perched on a limb.
I brought an injured screech owl home once. It had lost an eye and a leg. I kept it in a big cage in the basement and on a perch in the kitchen, fed it mealworms, bits of canned dogfood, and bites of raw chicken or beef (all proffered on a straw) until it healed, and throughout the winter; about a year all told. Then I took it out back and turned it loose. That little one-eyed, one-legged owl returned for the next several years. It would sit in the red haw tree and allow me to approach to within a yard or so. Apparently it managed to feed itself well enough, in spite of losing binocular vision and being limited to only one talon for capturing prey.
Oh he's so cute he lOOks like a puppet from the Muppet's! x
oooo
come see my blog
i posted the owl story!!
you will love!
Grizzled... what a great story. I've heard an adult screech owl once. Brought me up out of bed and so I hope I don't hear another one that close to my room. He was in a tree outside the window and decided to let us know that.
Sydney, this owl is so adorable. Now I want one. Well, not really, but he is cute.
He looks like he could jump on a counter at the liquor store and order a pack of cigs and a beer. What a wonderful face!!!
Bindu -- he's not hurt, he had some kind of feather dust in his eye that day. It happened to a great horned owl a few months back too -- like when we get a little eyelash or mascara in there.
Grizz --- I have heard the tiny little noise this one makes. I caught it in the little film I first took of him (click on the link in the post to get there). It's barely disernable so I bet you mean something louder than that!
Meb and Miss Kilpy -- great lines. you two should have a stage show together (I know you both would like each other!!!)
Post a Comment