A ways back I may have mentioned that there is a young giraffe at the zoo who always sports a mohawk. It looks like someone put hair gel down his mane from the crown of his head allll the way down that really long neck. It sticks straight up, day after day.
Then I heard about the Auntie who apparently has deemed herself his hairdresser. Keeper stories abound about this comical turn of events. But then the other day I saw one who looks much shorter doing this to a taller one. Perhaps the tables have turned. Take a look.
You'll notice that the one being groomed is ALSO licking the tall fence post that surrounds the habitat. When you think about it, it's pretty normal behavior for them. In the wild they'd be using that long dark tongue to tear off leaves from the tree tops and pull them to their back teeth to chew. They probably had to graze all day long, because you never know when the next tree will come along... But at the zoo, they get their food from their keepers, regularly so... no one goes hungry. And yet basic instincts like these don't just disappear. Now, it seems to serve to pass the time, and much to my amusement! Here's all that a little closer up.
So funny. I will be sure to ask the keeper about this again to see if I have my facts straight when I go to the zoo this week to volunteer.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Lol! Giraffe hairdressing salon X:-)
Fun to watch.
Giraffes are wonderful creatures and they fascinate me. Thank you for this close up view of these two. Too funny. :)
I am so ticklish that I could hardly watch these videos! Very cute and it does look like they are having a good time.
Sydney isn't that amazing? The giraffe was my father's favourite animal. I love them too.
xoxox
That's so cute! He's going at it like a little vacuum cleaner!!
Post a Comment