Sunday, August 2, 2009

Every Day, Something New

After a fair amount of experience feeding baby birds, I was asked to go to the area what we move them to once they become fledglings and clean and feed those in there. It turned out to be a most enjoyable task. There were only about a dozen tanks in there, filled with birds unfamiliar to me, save the few Blue Jays. The last one on the end held a group of half a dozen soft ash-y black birds, who were making the biggest racket!

I opened the top of the tank and was greeted by an unusual sight: Instead of perching on a branch or standing on the ground, these guys were vertically clutching on to fabric that had been placed along the left side of the tank wall. Their chirps swelled to a crazy cacophony and their mouths opened as they vied for position when I came at them with their soaked science diet cat food on my fake mother's beak -- the kind of scissor handled tweezers I've mentioned in previous posts.


As soon as I was done with this feeding on the end, it was time to replenish my coffers and start a second feeding on those in the first tank. By the time I got to the Chimney Swifts again, one who'd been stuck lower down last time flew forward and attached himself to the pocket of my apron, much like a woodpecker would, where he apparently felt nice and comfy because he was very well behaved.

When I came at him with the food he began flapping his wings to get "Mama's"attention... but otherwise, he sat very patiently and in truth it made it much easier to feed him and the others in the tank.
Just adorable these little beings! Maybe not when they are squawking in your chimney. But when not being fed, you might never know they're there.

These little guys are the color they are to obviously blend in with their environment of choice... the smoky ash-encrusted inside of your chimney. They obviously breed at a time of year when there are no fires burning, and this explains why they grip upright. Yes, they make some noise but they are there for such a short time. And they do you the favor of catching thousands of pesky-to-humans insects.

They used to build in hollow trees but they now choose chimneys due to loss of habitat... and with all the new gas fireplaces, that alternative is also dwindling. If you have any in your chimney, please think twice before you hire someone to shoo them out. They usually just remove the nests and discard these helpless babies! Oh no, that just won't do!

If you click HERE, you can read more about that. Among other useful info it says: "Chimney Swifts are protected by Federal Law under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act." and if you hire a company to clean your chimney, you need to find a reputable company whose policy it is to protect the little dears.

I am very curious to know if any of you have ever had or seen them before.

5 comments:

ellen abbott said...

What a cool job. I had some wrens nest on my kitchen window sill last year and I got to watch the whole cycle. I was lucky enough to be there when the babies fledged.

bindu said...

We have had baby birds in our chimney every year that we've lived in this house (it's been 3 years now). The chirping is so loud and cute, we smile every time we hear it, and worry about how we will know to help if the mom dies and doesn't come back some time. I love having them there ... a little bit of the outdoors in our home! I've taken some audio clips ... will post some time.

Miss Kilpy said...

The only bird I've had nesting close is a Mockingbird. They are not so cute and very territorial. They will dive bomb you, a cat, a dog anything if it gets to close to their nests. Mockingbirds make me believe that birds were once dinosaurs. I love your little birds!

meb said...

I, too, get the chimney swifts Sydney. And loud isn't the word for them when momma comes to feed them. My dog, Buddy, is run ragged trying to get to them, but of course, he can't because the cover over my fireplace is like the oven of one of those wood burning stoves. You have to twist the handle to open the door. When they are there, I don't. In fact, I don't ever open that door. Too afraid of what might be in there.

I don't use the fireplace.

Wondering Woman said...

Dozens of chimney swifts lived in my chimney for my first 10 years here. Occasionally I could hear their fluttering as they settled in, but for the most part they were surprisingly quiet. Then for some unexplainable reason, rather than sticking to the sides of the chimney, a few started coming down the flue and INTO the free-standing insert. It was a mess. In the middle of the night my dog would be going crazy and there would be a couple of chimney swifts beating themselves against the glass door trying to escape. It was awful, I'd spend hours trying to herd them outside. But then I learned the secret.... turn all the lights off, prop the front door open, open the fireplace door, walk outside shining a flashlight... they ALWAYS followed the light to freedom. Mission accomplished in seconds..... Five years ago I found myself never using the fireplace and I was tired of messing with it so I put wire over the chimney top (the opening is so large the chimney sweep and his ladder both fit inside without problem). This had been their ancestral home for 85 years and I was worried I'd ruined everything but they seemed to adapt with no problem. Their new digs are woods in front of the house and every afternoon they fly over and tell their children stories about the old chimney so I can say we're still the best of friends.